If you have noticed your Eero blinking white, you are probably asking yourself what this Eero LED light signal means. The LED light on your Eero is designed to inform us about the status of the Eero device and the network.
In this article, we are going to explain what the blinking white light means and is it an issue that needs your attention.
Eero Blinking White Meaning
A blinking white light on your Eero device is usually a sign that the device is trying to connect to the internet. It normally appears during the initial setup or if the Eero can’t connect to the internet.
Why Is My Eero Blinking White? Common Reasons
There are a few reasons that may trigger the white blinking light on your Eero. We have ordered them starting from the most common reason first.
Internet Connection Issues
If your internet service is down or if there are issues with your modem or gateway, your Eero will most likely blink white.
When you set up a new Eero device, it will blink white while it is connecting to the internet. This is normal and doesn’t require your attention. It will stop once it connects successfully.
Eero devices automatically update their firmware to improve their performance and security. During a firmware update, the device can blink white.
In rare cases, a hardware problem with the Eero device itself can cause the white blinking light.
How to Fix the Issue
If your Eero is blinking white light, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and, in most cases, resolve the issue.
Check The Internet Connection
The first step is to make sure that your modem or gateway is connected properly and is functioning correctly.
The most common reason for the Eero to blink white is an issue with the internet connection, so it’s important to rule this out first.
- Check all the cables to make sure they are securely connected.
- Check for any outages or known issues with your internet service provider.
- If you have other devices connected to the internet, see if they are experiencing the same issue.
Restart The Device
Sometimes, simply restarting the Eero device can resolve the issue. This is often the quickest and easiest solution. Therefore, it is worth trying it before moving on to other troubleshooting steps.
- Unplug the Eero device from the power source.
- Wait for about 1-3 minutes.
- Plug the device back in and wait for it to restart.
When the Eero boots up again, pay attention to the LED status light and see whether it connects or it gets stuck in blinking white.
Restart Your Eero Network
If restarting the Eero didn’t fix the problem, you can try restarting the entire network. To properly restart your Eero network, follow these steps:
- Start by unplugging the power cable from your modem.
- Next, disconnect the Eero router from the power source.
- Wait for about 30 seconds. This gives the devices time to fully power down.
- Connect the power cable back into your modem. Wait for it to restart completely. This may take a few minutes. You will know it is ready when the lights on the modem stabilize.
- Once the modem is fully restarted, connect the power cable back into your Eero router. Wait for it to restart fully. This may also take a few minutes.
- After the Eero router has restarted, check the light on the Eero device. It should turn solid white, indicating that it is connected to the internet and working properly.
Eero devices automatically update their firmware for better performance and security. However, if there is an issue with the update process, it can make the Eero blink white.
- Open the Eero app on your phone or tablet.
- Go to the settings menu and see if there is a new firmware version.
- If there is an update available, install it.
- Wait for the device to restart after the update.
- Pay close attention to the LED light on the Eero.
Remove and Add an Eero Device to Your Network
Sometimes removing the Eero from the network and adding it again, can solve the white blinking light issue. Here is how to do it properly.
Removing an Eero:
- Launch the Eero application on your mobile device.
- Select the Eero device you wish to remove.
- Navigate to the “Advanced” settings.
- Choose the option to “Remove ‘name’ Eero.”
- Confirm the removal by selecting “Remove from Network” at the bottom.
Adding an Eero:
- Launch the Eero application on your mobile device.
- Click on the blue colored plus icon located at the upper right of the screen.
- Choose “Add or Replace Eero Devices.”
- Select “Add Eero Device.”
- Follow the prompts carefully to re-add the Eero.
After that check whether the Eero is still blinking white or it turned solid white.
Soft Reset Your Eero
In some cases, performing a soft reset on your Eero can fix the white blinking light. Here is how to do a soft reset on your Eero.
- Find the Reset Button.
- Press and hold the reset button for 5 to 10 seconds. Watch for the Eero light flash yellow, then let go of the button.
- Give it a minute and wait for the light to turn solid white. That means everything is OK!
A soft reset won’t mess up your settings, but if the light keeps blinking, you might need to do a factory reset to get everything back to normal.
Hard Reset Your Eero
Performing a hard reset on your Eero will erase all the custom settings and you will have to set it up again. The steps are the same as with the soft reset with the only difference that you have to hold the reset button for 15 seconds.
After that, the Eero should start blinking red. Don’t worry, this is not the so called eero red light of death.
Watch this video to see how to perform a soft and hard reset on your Eero via the app or manually. You will also see what to do after the reset.
If the above steps do not fix the issue, the next step is to contact Eero support or your ISP support. They can help you troubleshoot the problem and determine if there is a more serious issue with the device.
- Visit the Eero support website or open the Eero app and go to the support section.
- You can choose to contact support via phone, email, or live chat.
- Have your Eero serial number and other relevant information ready.
- Describe your issue in detail.
By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the issue and get your Eero device back to a solid white light. The solid white light means that it is connected to the internet and working properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is normal for the Eero to blink white during the initial setup as it connects to the internet. Once the connection is established, the light should turn solid white.
If rebooting your Eero doesn’t fix the issue, you should check for firmware updates and contact Eero support for further assistance.
Yes, it is normal for the Eero to blink white as it attempts to reconnect to the internet following a power outage.
A blinking white light on your Eero device means that it is trying to connect to the internet, but is experiencing an issue. This can happen for various reasons, such as a firmware update, initial setup, or internet connection problems.
By following the solutions given in this article, you should be able to fix the issue on your own. In the end, if nothing works, you can always get in touch with Eero or your ISP support to get your Eero back up and running smoothly.